Lord Fairfax had his home at Greenway Court in White Post, Virginia. In the 1740′s, young Charles and George Washington were hired as surveyors of the vast Northern Virginia holdings of Lord Fairfax. The 880 acres of land surrounding L’Auberge Provencale was given to Samuel Bell, an Irish Sheep Farmer, who set about building the main manor house then called Mt. Airy, completing the native field stone structure in 1753.
The building was sold to Mordeci Redd in 1753 and the two trustees of the house were George Washington and Fielding Lewis (who later married George Washington’s sister). When someone asks if George Washington slept here, our answer is probably…but as a trustee, he certainly was familiar with and walked the halls of Mt. Airy, particularly since the property was only about a mile from the offices and barns of Lord Fairfax.